I. A Richards' Figurative language
New Criticism marked the beginning of not only a new way of the analysis of literary composition, but also of a new perspective towards literature in all its universality, no matter in what language it is written. And Richards' Practical Criticism as well as his principles regarding the types of meanings and misunderstandings while reading a literary work, is a great contribution. Also songs have been and are an integral part of our lives. And for literature they form an equally important area of study. Hence, in this post I've endeavoured to apply two major points of New Criticism theory, i.e Paradox and Impulse to one of the many popular songs by One Direction, a popular English-Irish pop boy band. The song was written by Julian Bunetta, Jamie Scott, and John Ryan.
I figured it out
I figured it out from black and white
Seconds and hours
Maybe they had to take some time
I figured it out
I figured it out from black and white
Seconds and hours
Maybe they had to take some time
I know how it goes
I know how it goes from wrong and right
Silence and sound
Did they ever hold each other tight
Like us? Did they ever fight
Like us?
I know how it goes from wrong and right
Silence and sound
Did they ever hold each other tight
Like us? Did they ever fight
Like us?
You and I
We don't wanna be like them
We can make it 'til the end
Nothing can come between
You and I
Not even the Gods above
Can separate the two of us
No, nothing can come between
You and I
We don't wanna be like them
We can make it 'til the end
Nothing can come between
You and I
Not even the Gods above
Can separate the two of us
No, nothing can come between
You and I
Oh, you and I
I figured it out
Saw the mistakes of up and down
Meet in the middle
There's always room for common ground
Saw the mistakes of up and down
Meet in the middle
There's always room for common ground
I see what it's like
I see what it's like for day and night
Never together
'Cause they see things in a different light
Like us, but they never tried
Like us
I see what it's like for day and night
Never together
'Cause they see things in a different light
Like us, but they never tried
Like us
You and I
We don't wanna be like them
We can make it 'til the end
Nothing can come between
You and I
Not even the Gods above
Can separate the two of us (Two of us)'Cause you and I
We don't wanna be like them
We can make it till the end
Nothing can come between
You and I
Not even the Gods above,
Can separate the two of us
No, nothing can come between
You and I, you and i
Oh, you and i
Oh, you and i
We can make it if we try
You and I
Oh, you and i.
Paradox:
It is quite evident that the song is full of paradoxical words and sentences. However, the poet tries to emphasize one paradox, i.e, 'you and I'. The literal meaning of the words would reveal many discrepancies, such as 'the mistakes of up and down' or 'silence and sound holding each other tight'. It is supposed that the 'You' and 'I' are lovers, and one of them is assuring the other one or rather promising that they won't get separated even by the 'Gods above'. The song is about sustaining the feeling of trust and understanding in a relationship. What makes the rendition of this idea in this song remarkable, is the use of binaries such as 'black and white' or 'wrong and right'. And by saying that 'we don't wanna be like them' the poet tries to present the idea that in order to sustain longer binaries should be avoided and that 'there's always room for common ground'. The poet seems to suggest that if this 'common ground' of understanding is established no one can separate the lovers. If we keep the references to a love relationship aside, we may find a moral message for humanity as well. The poet suggests instead of just looking at the world from wrong and right, from up and down, it is better to 'meet in the middle'. If that happens, 'nothing can come between you and I'.
Impulse:
Any relationship suffers with the fear of getting broken because of reasons such as misunderstanding, mistrust, betrayal and so on and so forth. This song is an appeal to those feelings. The basic impulse of the poet seems to be an assurance that no matter what happens, if understanding is the base of a relationship, 'nothing can come between the lovers'. Even if they share different opinions regarding things, 'there's always room for common ground.' In this way, the poet also tries to move away from the traditional natural symbols of love such as day and night stating that 'they see things in a different light' and therefore are 'never together'. Furthering the idea that they 'don't wanna be like them' because they have 'never tried' like them to 'meet in the middle'.
We don't wanna be like them
We can make it 'til the end
Nothing can come between
You and I
Not even the Gods above
Can separate the two of us (Two of us)'Cause you and I
We don't wanna be like them
We can make it till the end
Nothing can come between
You and I
Not even the Gods above,
Can separate the two of us
No, nothing can come between
You and I, you and i
Oh, you and i
Oh, you and i
We can make it if we try
You and I
Oh, you and i.
Paradox:
It is quite evident that the song is full of paradoxical words and sentences. However, the poet tries to emphasize one paradox, i.e, 'you and I'. The literal meaning of the words would reveal many discrepancies, such as 'the mistakes of up and down' or 'silence and sound holding each other tight'. It is supposed that the 'You' and 'I' are lovers, and one of them is assuring the other one or rather promising that they won't get separated even by the 'Gods above'. The song is about sustaining the feeling of trust and understanding in a relationship. What makes the rendition of this idea in this song remarkable, is the use of binaries such as 'black and white' or 'wrong and right'. And by saying that 'we don't wanna be like them' the poet tries to present the idea that in order to sustain longer binaries should be avoided and that 'there's always room for common ground'. The poet seems to suggest that if this 'common ground' of understanding is established no one can separate the lovers. If we keep the references to a love relationship aside, we may find a moral message for humanity as well. The poet suggests instead of just looking at the world from wrong and right, from up and down, it is better to 'meet in the middle'. If that happens, 'nothing can come between you and I'.
Impulse:
Any relationship suffers with the fear of getting broken because of reasons such as misunderstanding, mistrust, betrayal and so on and so forth. This song is an appeal to those feelings. The basic impulse of the poet seems to be an assurance that no matter what happens, if understanding is the base of a relationship, 'nothing can come between the lovers'. Even if they share different opinions regarding things, 'there's always room for common ground.' In this way, the poet also tries to move away from the traditional natural symbols of love such as day and night stating that 'they see things in a different light' and therefore are 'never together'. Furthering the idea that they 'don't wanna be like them' because they have 'never tried' like them to 'meet in the middle'.
Comments
Post a Comment